Can Dry Dog Food Be Frozen? The answer is Yes; dry dog food can be frozen for a short period.
The best advice for freezing your dog food is to write down the date and time of when it was placed inside the container.
Store your pet’s food in a freezer as soon as possible because once the food thaws, it will lose its freshness.
Your dog will get less nutrition from frozen dog food than if you had just bought it fresh at a store.
For every 25% decrease in moisture, there is also a 50% loss of protein and a 25% loss of vitamins and minerals.
Table of Contents
Can Dry Dog Food Be Frozen?
As I said before, the answer is Yes; dry dog food can be frozen for a short period.
If you are out of town for a long weekend, it will be okay to freeze your dog’s food.
However, it’s best not to store your dog food in the freezer for too long because, as I mentioned, there is a loss of nutrition while the food is stored in the freezer.
When dogs are fed frozen food, they will get less nutrition than if they were fed fresh food.
7 Amazing Benefits Of Freezing Dry Dog Food
Inspired by a friend’s dog, I researched whether it was okay to freeze dry dog food. So, I learned a few things about freezing dry dog food. I will share those things with you in this article.
It is important to keep dry dog food in its original packaging because the heat from the dryer causes the air to escape.
Here I have listed 7 benefits of freezing dry dog food:
1. The first benefit of freezing dry food is that if you have an older dog and want to buy a bag of dog food, you can freeze it so the older dog can eat it when the bag is opened.
Your older pet will not have any problem digesting the frozen food.
Your older pet will feel much better when eating frozen food. If you plan on storing your dry dog food in a freezer, it is important to check with your veterinarian first.
2. The second benefit of freezing dry dog food is that your dog will be ready to eat after a certain period.
It is no harm for your pet to eat frozen food at this time, but after a certain amount of time, it will not be good for him.
3. Another benefit of freezing dry dog food is that if you are taking your pet on vacation and want to take the cat with you, it would be alright to freeze the cat’s food while going away.
If you are going away for a long time, it is not advisable to freeze the cat’s food because it will be of low quality.
4. The fourth benefit of freezing dry dog food is that if your pet has been ill, it is always good to feed him frozen dog food.
After a certain amount of time, frozen dog food becomes beneficial for your pet.
5. The fifth benefit of freezing dry dog food is that it helps to preserve the food for a long time.
If you do not want your dry dog food to go bad, it is always good to freeze it before the expiration date.
Buy a small amount from your local pet store and work your way up so you do not waste much.
6. The sixth benefit of freezing dry dog food is that it is healthy.
If you want wheat-free, soy-free, and corn-free dry dog food, it is a great idea to freeze the food you do not use all the time because it can be time-consuming to cook a new meal every day.
7. The seventh benefit of freezing dry dog food is that you need to plan. Make a plan with your family when they go shopping so that no more dry dog food is left.
How To Store Dry Dog Food Long Term?
You have heard that you can store dry dog food long-term, but what if you have so much food that you do not know how to store it properly?
Before finding a way to store dry dog food long-term, look at the storage requirements.
Here I will share some guidelines for storing dry dog food long-term:
1. It is best to store the wet dog food in its original packaging, which should be stored in a cool place. It would be great if the room temperature was above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. There should be enough space in the refrigerator for the food you buy.
3. Do not stack dog food packages, as it will cause the moisture to leave.
4. If you want to store dry dog food long-term, it is best to store them in a cool and dark place or where your pets cannot reach them because wet dog food can go bad after a certain period.
Freezing Homemade Dog Food
Is it a good idea to freeze homemade dog food or not? Consider these things if you are looking for a freezer container for your pet.
Here I have listed 6 benefits of freezing homemade dog food:
1. If you have an open bag of cat or dog food, it is always good to freeze the leftovers; that way, it will not go bad. (Just note the date so you know how long ago you froze the leftovers.)
2. If you have a dog that does not eat as much as other dogs and do not want to buy more, you can freeze the leftovers and feed them when your pet is hungry.
3. It is a good idea to freeze dog food for an elderly dog who likes to stop eating. You should check with your veterinarian first because healthy pets will never develop problems while eating frozen food.
Freezing Dry Dog Food To Kill Mites
Some dog owners wonder if freezing dry food will kill mites. As I have mentioned, it is important to know that a certain amount of moisture is needed for the growth of mites. But dry dog food can kill mites.
Here I have listed 2 benefits of freezing dry dog food to kill mites:
1. If you will be away for a short period, it is a good idea to freeze your dog food because some mites can live on dry food just as easily as wet dog food.
2. It is always a good idea to freeze dry food containing meat because meat attracts mites.
If you are always storing canned dog food, it would be great if you could try freezing the leftovers from time to time.
Can You Freeze Kibble In A Kong?
You can freeze kibble in a Kong, but you need to ensure that it will not stick to the inside of the toy. To prevent this from happening, you need to oil the rubber so it can slide smoothly into the kibble.
Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Pros And Cons
If you have ever looked at the shelf of pet food and wondered how long the food had been there, then freeze-dried raw dog food is definitely for you. If you are not sure if you want to try it, here are some pros and cons to consider:
1. You do not have to worry about cooking raw dog food because buying frozen-dried raw dog food would be better. Just take the package out of the freezer and open it. It will be ready for your dog to eat.
2. It is always a good idea to freeze raw dog food because if it spoils, it will not be good for your pet.
3. If you have a dog with diabetes, it is always a good idea to freeze dog food because raw dog food can help your pet maintain his blood sugar levels and insulin requirements.
4. It is always a good idea to freeze raw dog food in case you want to take your pet on vacation with you. Make sure you pack the food properly, according to the instructions on the label.
5. If you are busy and need a quick meal for your dog, it is always good to freeze raw dog food because it will be ready when needed.
1. You need to buy dry dog food for your pet because freeze-dried raw dog food is not available in the store.
2. Freeze-dried raw dog food comes packaged in a small bag, and it can be hard to find a container that will fit the bag.
3. The price of frozen raw dog food is higher than that of wet or canned dog food, and you need to consider how much you will feed your pet. There are no extra ingredients in freeze-dried raw dog food.
4. If you have a cat, it is always a good idea to freeze raw dog food so the kitty can enjoy it anytime. The longer you freeze the food, the better.
5. Dogs with more sensitive stomachs may not eat raw dog food well because they can easily develop diarrhea when they eat too much and do not get used to it immediately.
Freezing dry dog food is a great way to save money and provide your pet with quality food when you are on vacation or busy with other things.
If you want to store your dog’s food long-term, I suggest you check the label first to ensure the manufacturer is approved.
I hope all my readers have gained more knowledge about this topic and will find it helpful.
Can I Freeze Wet Dog Food?
If you want to freeze wet dog food, it is important to ensure the container is properly sealed so it will not come in contact with air.
Though the refrigerator will keep your dog food safe to eat, it will lose its flavor over time. Freezing dog food is a good way to preserve it longer.
How Long Does Dry Dog Food Last In The Freezer?
6 months to 1 year – If you store it at its best quality, it will be good for 6 months to 1 year in a freezer.
How Do You Freeze Dry Dog Food?
If a dog food is in an open bag, it is important to store the leftovers in the freezer. You can do this by either freezing the package or putting it in a freezer bag with the air squeezed out by closing the end.